Ask the Consul

       Answers of the week


June 18, 2010


We have current laser visas and have a 2 yr old child without a visa.  I was told that I could apply for her visa by internet.  Is this correct?


Your child may be eligible to apply for a visa by mail, if the following are true:


Your child is under 7 years old at the time of application;

You and your spouse are Mexican citizens that reside in Mexico;

You or your spouse holds a valid Mexican passport and a B1/B2 (tourist) visa.


If your child qualifies, you will need to complete the online application form DS-160 for your child and send us the required documents through the courier service, Multipack. Applicants who do not meet the above qualifications must apply for their visas following the standard interview.


A list of the required documents and a full explanation of the steps for sending in your application can be found on our website at